Is COVID-19 Stressing You Out?
Anxiety and fear surrounding the COVID-19 outbreak can cause strong – and sometimes overwhelming – emotions and stress. The stress surrounding coronavirus disease can cause a variety of effects, such as:
- Excessive worry and fear about the health of loved ones and about your own health
- Changes in your sleeping or eating patterns
- Difficulty sleeping
- Trouble concentrating
- Worsening of chronic health problems and mental health conditions
- Increased use of alcohol, tobacco, drugs
Everyone reacts differently to stressful situations, and a number of factors can affect how you might react. These factors include your background, the community in which you live, your risk of contracting coronavirus, and your individual coping mechanisms.
COVID-19 is especially stressful for some people, such as:
- Older people and people with chronic diseases who are at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19
- Children and teens
- Doctors, nurses, first responders, healthcare providers, and others who are on the front line of the COVID-19 response
- People who have mental health conditions, including problems with substance use
How You Can Respond to COVID-19 Stress
Developing a proactive response to COVID-19 can help you reduce stress and anxiety. A stress-relieving strategy can include:
- Taking breaks from the news and social media, as hearing about coronavirus repeatedly is upsetting
- Take care of your body with regular sleep, exercise and nutritious meals
- Avoid alcohol and drugs
- Connect with friends and family via telephone or online
- Talk with people you trust about your concerns about COVID-19 or other issues
Online Therapy Services are Now Available through Focus Forward Counseling and Consulting
To assist in the COVID-19 health-related efforts and to keep our clients safe, Focus Forward Counseling and Consulting has shifted our services online through a HIPAA-compliant telepsychology platform. Telepsychology, also known as online therapy sessions, involves the use of advanced technology to provide high quality, therapeutic mental healthcare to individuals during the age of social distancing.
Our therapists are now available virtually to help guide you through these times, and reduce your anxiety and stress. Online therapy offers flexible scheduling, faster access to quality care, and sessions from the comfort and privacy of your own home. Since the online sessions are HIPAA-compliant, they meet stringent security standards and offer a high degree of confidentiality. The therapist and platform do not record sessions, nor do they save phone numbers or email addresses.
Focus Forward Counseling and Consulting continues to be committed to providing outstanding care and will continue to offer help and support to their clients. Please contact your therapist for details. If you are a new client, please contact Focus Forward Counseling and Consulting at 404-388-3909 to schedule an appointment.