We are committed to promoting the health of your overall well being, whether it’s physical or mental. In an effort to continue providing you care and still do our part in limiting the spread of Coronavirus, we are now providing online therapy sessions to all of our clients. During times of uncertainty, we want to continue to be there for you when you may need us most. Our therapists are now virtually available to help guide you through these times, reducing your anxiety and stress. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and meet with your therapist via video chat or phone.
Online Therapy & Counseling
Ultimately, the major benefit of online therapy sessions is its ability to provide high-quality, therapeutic mental healthcare to individuals who experience any challenges meeting in-person.
The many benefits of online therapy include:
- Flexible scheduling – online therapy appointments may be scheduled outside of “normal” office hours.
- Giving patients more time to think about their thoughts before their appointment.
- Increased comfort levels – patients feel more comfortable during a telepsychology appointment because they are in the comfort of their own home.
- Decreased stigmatization of receiving mental healthcare – patients can receive care without worrying about judgement from others who may see them entering the office for an appointment.
- Better connections may be formed – patients may be able to form better connections with their psychologist because they feel less inhibited and therefore are more open and honest during appointments.
- Faster access to high-quality care – wait times for online therapy sessions may not take as long as seeing a therapist for an in-office appointment. This allows patients to get the help they need faster.
Who Benefits from Online Therapy Sessions?
While anyone can benefit from online therapy sessions, there are some people who may find this especially useful under certain conditions such as:
- People experiencing a physical disability, condition, or illness that makes traveling outside the home difficult
- People who find it difficult to add another in-office medical appointment to an already packed schedule that may include multiple other doctor or medical appointments.
- People who have difficulty finding reliable transportation to take them to and from appointments
- Business professionals who have busy work schedules make it difficult to fit in an in-office visit
- Parents who may not be able to find it difficult to commit to treatment because they don’t have access to reliable childcare
- People who suffer from certain types of mental illness, such as clinical depression, PTSD, and agoraphobia, who may find it difficult to leave the home to attend weekly therapy sessions
Questions and Answers about Telepsychology
Our clinicians have switched their practices to online therapy for all appointments during the coronavirus outbreak. For many people, this is a new idea and raises questions: Is it effective? Is it easy to use? Is it awkward? Is it for everyone? Is it confidential? This brief summary will give you solid answers these and other questions.
Is online therapy effective? Yes. For most clients, research shows it’s is as effective as in-person therapy. Multiple studies have found that it tends to have high client satisfaction ratings and produces outcomes as good as traditional face-to-face therapy.
Is it easy to use? Yes, it’s extremely easy to use. Our platform sends either a text or email (your choice) around the beginning of the session. You simply click on it and it brings you to the video conference. There’s no registration, password, special software, nor any other barriers. All you need is a computer or mobile device with a browser and a solid internet connection.
Is it awkward? Most of our clients, including those who were initially reluctant, have given us feedback that they find it helpful and comfortable. Our clients and ourselves have been pleasantly surprised by how similar this has been to a session done in person.
Is it for children, as well as adults? Yes. Teens and adults find it easy to use, but it can also be helpful for younger kids. It can be a great option to check in with clients of all ages. The flexibility of being able to schedule shorter appointments or check-ins with younger clients can be a plus.
Is it for everyone? No. Some potential clients who are experiencing very severe difficulties that require a higher level of services and support may not be best served by online therapy. There may also be some other clients who have special needs or circumstances that may not be a good fit for this type of service. If you’re unsure, our intake staff, in consultation with our clinicians, can help you make this determination.
Is it confidential? The platform we use is HIPAA-compliant, which means it meets stringent security standards and offers a high degree of confidentiality. No sessions or images are recorded by the therapist or the platform, nor are any phone numbers or email addresses saved in it. You need to make sure you have a private place to talk to ensure confidentiality on your end.
How do I get started? It’s as easy as calling (404) 388-3909. We’ll get some basic information from you, then match you with the therapist who is the best fit for you or your loved one. If you already have a name of a therapist you’d like to see, our staff will make every effort to connect you to that clinician.